- Masters of Arts in Music Therapy (MA-MT) University of Limerick, Republic of Ireland
- Bachelor of Arts (BA) in Music and composition from Dublin Institute of Technology
Populations specialized with:
- Children with developmental and intellectual disabilities (ages 6-12),
- Adults with intellectual disabilities and older adults with age-related illnesses (Dementia, Alzheimer’s, stroke)
Special Skills/Related Training:
- First aid level I certified,
- Voice training (ABRSM Grade 6),
- Music Theatre (ABRSM Grade 6)
Ryan is a 29-year-old Irish Music Therapist who moved to Canada in October 2018. Ever since Ryan could talk, he could sing. Inspired by his father's musical career, the only path was one paved with music. So began a long and exciting journey of singing, songwriting and performing that led to a Bachelor of Arts degree in Music and composition by 2015.
Moved by the work of Music Therapists across Ireland, Ryan went on to attain his Masters degree in Music Therapy in August 2018. When he is not surrounded by music, it is the outdoors that surrounds him. He loves hiking, gardening, climbing, running, camping and travelling.
- College placement settings included: children with visual impairments; children with intellectual disabilities; children with developmental disabilities; adults with intellectual disabilities; older adults with mild to severe dementia.
- Graduated in August 2018 with a Master's degree in music therapy.
- Established a contract in Ireland with a company called Kare, working with two groups of children aged 3-6 with mild to moderate intellectual disabilities.
- Began work with CMTS in July 2019 working for the most part in long-term care settings.
- During Covid 2020; established a full-time post (MON-FRI 9-5) at Arbutus long-term care home.
- Other client categories since starting have included
- Children on the autistic spectrum
- Adults with developmental disabilities
- Clients with brain injury
- Residential care for older adults
- Mental health clients within secure units (older adults)
Person-centred care is first and foremost the main component of my work. No matter what client group I work with, the person is the first aspect that I attend to, whether that be in an emotional, supportive, musical, reflective or social sense. Utilizing this method has always obtained for me, the best results.
I often like to combine this with a developmental approach when working with younger clients; as it puts more focus on goals, objectives and results. This may include, physical, musical, emotional, or social goals.
Personal Life Philosophy:
My main motivation in life is happiness. This includes the happiness of myself and those around me. This is the driving force of my work, social life, music career and family life.
“Life is a journey to be experienced, not a problem to be solved” - Winnie the Pooh